Sunday, February 1, 2015

In Three Days

It's been two weeks now of having my own classroom and so I thought it was time to write about my experience putting it together and seeing my childhood dream come true. A week before I started, I got a phone call saying that my contract was ready and that I could come in to start getting my room ready. On January 13, 2015, I got to go in to see my room for the first time, Room 79. As I walked in, my stomach dropped and my eyes widened because I was going to have a lot of work ahead of me. My room was a disaster. They had ordered new furniture for my classroom as well as another Kindergarten teacher and it all was sitting in my room in boxes. I left that day afraid of how I would complete this task. I went to four years of college and graduated, but I was never prepared for this; setting up a classroom. How the heck would I get this all done? And I was alone.
Putting a classroom together is almost like moving into a new house. You spend about half of your time in the classroom. It is your second home. I had no clue how I would do this alone. The night before I went into see the classroom, I prayed that the Lord would some how send me someone to help me. Well, of course my prayers were answered. That day I went in to see my room, I met the person sent from the Lord. Her name is Tori and she is the other Kindergarten teacher that got hired at the school. Right away she asked if I had help. I said not really and without hesitation she was willing to help. In three days we unpacked the boxes, assembled the furniture, and put my decorations up to make it look like a real classroom.


This was the view when I first walked in. What did I get myself into?

After Day one we had boxes unpacked and a few decorations set up. It started to look more like a classroom.

Day two was mostly moving all the furniture around to make use of the space. It was like a puzzle to get all the furniture to fit. After moving the tables, chairs, bookshelves, and cabinets we started the center piece of the room... the tree! 

Day three came quickly, but all we had to do was finish the final touches. We completed the tree, put books out, and sharpened the pencils for class on Tuesday. It's incredible how fast we put my classroom together. And it turned out better than I imagined. 

Carpet time: Where our daily news and learning happens.

My growing library.

Word Wall.

Outside bulletin board with a mini apple tree. 

As we all grow up we all have dreams and wishes. I can remember always wanting to became a teacher.  Putting this classroom together meant so much to me knowing that I had accomplished one of my biggest dreams. I know this was a lifetime of preparing but....

In three days, my fear became my confidence;
My childhood dream became my reality.
And I can now say I am a teacher.



1 comment:

  1. I love your room. It was my ELL room when we first opened brand new six or seven years ago? Welcome to Fine!

    ReplyDelete