Thursday, February 5, 2015

Choose a Job You Love

Last Friday I had a really cool experience in my classroom. I was showing my students my library and how to treat my books. My library is organized into bins with different topics. Each book has a number on it telling what bin it belongs in. As I was going through the bins and sharing all the topics, I came across the book, "Carl and His Box", a book I wrote in college for an assignment. I thought I would read my students this story as they would think it was cool how I am the author and illustrator. As I read the title and who the author was their eyes widened.
"Ms. Dill, you wrote this book? And you wrote the pictures?" They were so cute. "Yes", I told them. They were so amazed and so excited to hear the story. They sat there crisscross applesauce with their hands in their laps. They were ready to hear the story.
As I opened the book showing them how to turn the pages and how to treat my books with care, I turn to the dedication page. I forgot I had wrote a dedication page. As I opened to the page it read, "To My Future Students". I looked up at my group of students, I was touched. This was my first future students! They didn't even realize how much this little moment meant to me. I had written this book over a year ago and forgotten about it.
The Lord works in mysterious ways. It's the little moments that matter the most. I have only been teaching for three weeks now and there are days I feel overwhelmed with it all. But us teachers teach for those small moments. These small moment are reminders of why we become teachers. Everyday we must find the good and find a little moment that matters. When we do this life won't be so hard, but easy and enjoyable. "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life." Well said Confucius, well said.


No comments:

Post a Comment